Welcome....

What follows here is an account of what I am reading, which books I love, some information on reading, etc. I hope you will feel free to comment back on things I've written about--for this is a sharing experience!

Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Definitions: Morpheme and Rime

Morpheme:  The smallest meaning bearing part of a word.  There are two types: bound (when it only has meaning when attached to another morpheme, such as the letter "s" added to make a word plural and the letters "ed" to create the past tense) and unbound (which has meaning by itself, such as the words "dog" and "care"). 
Rime:  The part of a syllable which consists of its vowel and any consonant sounds that come after it.  It often includes an onset--that is, the sound that precedes the vowel.  For the word "rake" the onset would be "r" and the rime would be "ake."  Another example would be for the word "night" where the onset would be "n" and the rime would be "ight."

1 comment:

  1. This is completely unrelated to your post, but I sent my part of the project to you through our school e-mail account. Thanks, Dannielle

    ReplyDelete