Welcome....

What follows here is an account of what I am reading, which books I love, some information on reading, etc. I hope you will feel free to comment back on things I've written about--for this is a sharing experience!

Saturday, August 27, 2011

Difficult Times

For some crazy reason, I've had a hard time commenting on others' blogs, so I guess I'll post here and try to connect later.

Amy Grace wrote about amazing technologies and how easy it is to connect today--and I totally agree with her.  iPads are the rage now, and who knows what cool stuff is coming down the road?  On a different note, I do not agree about handwriting.  I sincerely believe (and research bears this out) that cursive writing is an important element in a student's education.  I think that it is unfortunate that many of my students come to me unable to write cursive and unable to read it.  (And I have the top kids!) Is there anyone out there who agrees with me?  And if not, why not?

Barb asked for people to volunteer to share their lessons re: read alouds.  Honestly, although my kids enjoy the experience, I don't see it making the impact in regards to vocabulary and comprehension.  My lessons (thus far) would not be on the same level as those presented in class.  So, here's my question:  Since I use several strategies of comprehension and vocabulary when I read aloud passages from the textbook, could that count?

Maggie wrote about the techniques she uses in her kindergarten class.  I am amazed at her energy!  I think we should consider starting a "I Love Reading" group for teachers (and students) in Bartow and Floyd counties.  I have requested to start a Book Club at Cass High.  I will allow them to choose the books that are appropriate.  I hope it will be approved and become very successful!

Teresa wrote about her readings.  I found them very interesting--and I liked the addition of sites to visit in several of the blogs.  It's become very difficult to keep up with all the information flowing from everyone!  The more we blog, the more there is to comment on.

On a final note, I've found that in addition to everything else, this class is opening my eyes to the reading habits of my students.  I tend to try to scaffold more--I didn't realize how much students were missing!
Oh, I almost forgot--Sonic Drive In has a website LimeadesforLearning.com where you can vote for a favorite teacher's project from August 29-September 30.  I am going to check it out--hopefully I can submit a project!  Then get my kids to vote!

1 comment:

  1. Let's see if this comment posts... It's important for kids to be able to lift text and print text quickly. It's a skill that needs to be developed early on. Thanks for pointing that out because sometimes I question it. In third grade the students are learning to write in cursive and they are absolutely amazed by it, which is wonderful. They think it's so much fun. But, a few students struggle with holding pencils so they use grippers and slant boards, etc. Some are successful using those technologies, however, some are still unsuccessful. For those children another option is better. Perhaps learning keyboarding skills and using assistive technology, like a word processor.

    ReplyDelete