Welcome....

What follows here is an account of what I am reading, which books I love, some information on reading, etc. I hope you will feel free to comment back on things I've written about--for this is a sharing experience!

Sunday, September 4, 2011

Chapter 1 of When Kids Can't Read: What Teachers Can Do by Kylene Beers

I love Kylene.  I have had the pleasure of meeting and talking with her over the past several years as I've attended workshops, meetings, and conferences.  Past president of NCTE and a middle school teacher (and author), Kylene is down-to-earth.

This is an evaluation of Chapter 1: A Defining Moment.  As I have time, I would love to complete evaluations on every chapter in the book, but alas, "time is fleeting" as the poet says. 

I was hooked from the very start.  She writes like she's talking with me over a cup of coffee (with coffee cake!)  Her expectations weren't to discover that kids can't read--of course they can!--since she had plans of teaching AP literature to brilliant students.  (Sound familiar? I thought.)  However, as fate had it, Kylene's first teaching job was in a middle school in Houston, TX.  The first shock came when she discovered that not all students liked reading!  (Blasphemy, I thought.)  Second shock: some students couldn't read.  How was this possible?  Then came the conference with George's parents (how I missed having one of these my first years of teaching must be grace) wanting to know why their son had trouble reading.  The memory of that event lives with her today--the humiliation, the realization that she did not know what to do, how she failed him by not helping him. 

Kylene acknowledges that these kids know they can't read, are tired of being shown as "illiterate," and tune out of school and life as a result.  She also acknowledges that most of them attend school, show up for class--which is pretty brave if you look at it.  If I had to stand up in front of a class and teach French (a language of which I know less than a dozen words), I would fail.  But at least I would have the tools (such as reading and research) to try to get it right.  These kids don't have these tools.  It's like they've been told to build a house but have been given no instruments to nail, saw, or measure.

She ended the first chapter with a "Mea culpa" moment.  And with two critical answers to why adolescents struggle with reading:  1) There is no one cause (or solution) in dealing with this problem--students are different.  2) There are answers--and the rest of the book offers help with them.

I can't wait to have time to read Chapter 2!

2 comments:

  1. She is fantastic! There is no one reason why adolescents have difficulty reading and there is not one solution! Have you read, Just Teach Me, Mrs. K? It is an older book, but may resonate with you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. They gave us this book when I took the literacy coach training. I agree - it's a really good book. It's always good to find someone with suggestions that are do-able!

    ReplyDelete