Welcome....

What follows here is an account of what I am reading, which books I love, some information on reading, etc. I hope you will feel free to comment back on things I've written about--for this is a sharing experience!

Sunday, February 26, 2012

Do Non Readers Exist?

What a silly question--right?  I mean, at first glance it appears that everyone has the ability to accomplish some sort of decoding, whether it be with pictures or symbols.  But I think the question goes beyond that.  While I believe that everyone who can communicate on a basic level can read, the level of reading, the motivation, the skills--these are all factors that must be considered.

First, what is a reader?  I consider anyone who is engaged in reading, both for pleasure and for information, to be a reader.  The skill level doesn't qualify one--it is the motivation that is the determinant.  The materials are irrelevant. Choosing to read makes one a reader.

Thus, choosing not to read, for whatever reason (skill level, interest, fear) is what makes a non reader.  Many students pass through my classroom each year with the skills to read complex materials, but they lack the desire to do so.  I identify these as non readers.  And it is my intent each year to tempt them with at least one excellent piece of writing that they will devour--and hopefully go searching for more of the ambrosia that awaits them on the shelves of libraries or the screens of e-readers.

So, in answer to my own question, yes, non readers do exist.  It is my job to persuade them to try the offerings of the banquet that will fortify their lives.

No comments:

Post a Comment